Monday 20 February 2012

Habs send Gill to Nashville - exactly as I predicted

So long, Hal, it was a pleasure to have you in our city
Traveling across the state of Florida with my two kids and the wife, I've not been as up-to-date with the latest Habs news. However, upon finally settling in with some strong Internet access and time, here is my take on Hal Gill leaving town and what Pierre Gauthier was able to get. And no, I'm not going to break it down like 1000 other Habs bloggers, this is my own view and nothing more.

As you may recall, I blogged about the Habs getting at least a third round pick for Hal Gill. And the majority of Canadiens fans told me I was out of touch, uninformed and way off base. Really? How does a second round pick and a couple of prospects sound? I actually had it as a second round pick initially, but chickened out and posted my prediction as a third rounder.

I am also the same guy who on air last season was lobbying extensively for Montreal to sign Gill before he was to become a free agent. After all, the guy is a heart and soul type of leader. Guys with guts, cup experience and the ability to kill a penalty single handed don't grow on trees. I said Montreal was setting a bad example for the young players, that this is the type of guy the team had to lock up, to show how serious they were to winning and to show how loyal they are to leaders.

So Gauthier does the right thing and moves Gill out. And get this, I actually predicted Gill would go to Nashville a few weeks ago, saying that Predators GM David Poile would move Ryan Suter and need a replacement on the blue line. Hold on a second, here, let me pat myself on the back..... yep, done ... .

So Montreal gets a solid pick in the draft this year, a legacy prospect in Geoffrion and another piece in Slaney. Great job, Pierre.

As soon as the Cammalleri trade went down, I told everyone that I believed Gauthier would start next season as the general manager. No organization lets a dead man walking GM move a player like Mike Cammalleri. And now this move with Gill, it just reaffirms my take. Gauthier is being allowed to pull a Bryan Murray and clean up his own mess.

Now, let's see if he can keep it going down the right path. Prospects, picks and positivity.

Follow me on Twitter @tsnmatthew. Listen in on TSN 990 Tuesdays and Sundays for Game Points. 

No comments:

Post a Comment